Coping with sensory issues
For many years I have questioned whether I may fit somewhere on the autistic spectrum (see previous post of stress relating to this).
Regardless of whether I do fit somewhere on the spectrum, sensory issues are a significant problem for me… So I was wondering if anyone had any coping mechanisms / ways to deal with this in a socially acceptable way?
Touch / Texture:
- I used to struggle significantly with being touched. It felt like I was getting an electric shock that would travel through my body when I was touched. That is something I’ve become more accustomed to over time (helped by being in relationships I think) and can now cope well with unless taken by surprise.
- I sometimes really crave certain foods, even if I’m very full because I need a certain texture in my mouth. These are often crunchy, rough foods such as dry toast or crackers. When I crave these textures, I am not satisfied until I have had something of that texture and I can’t enjoy other food until then (making healthy eating a challenge!)
- The texture of clothing is an issue, labels and scratchy material are problematic and I have only recently started wearing jeans as I couldn’t deal with the rough texture on my skin before, although I think these jeans are quite soft.
- I cannot form sentences when other people are talking around me
- I find myself reaching what can only be described as a point of overload when certain sounds reach a certain volume. This does not apply to all types of sound, but crashing and people’s voices are some examples.
These are the most significant sensory issues I’ve noticed. I work in a school so these issues can be a daily challenge and I really need to find a way of dealing with them before it starts to affect my work.
So, any thoughts?
6 Notes/ Hide
- the-night-surgeon reblogged this from queerhuman and added:
- hilaryoncesaid likes this
- oddliladventure reblogged this from queerhuman and added:
- sassygayangel likes this
- wolfhoundboy answered: I wish I could help but this post literally sums up my life. I experience all these things, its basically why I’m a recluse
- queerhuman posted this